Skip to main content

Jailed Catalan leaders go on hunger strike in protest of Madrid hampering European court appeal




Two leaders of Catalonia’s pro-independence movement jailed by Spain are going on a hunger strike over what they see as Madrid violating their right to turn to European courts for protection through red tape.

In a joint statement released on Saturday, Jordi Sànchez and Jordi Turull, who have been kept in pre-trial detention over their roles in organizing a referendum of Catalan independence last year, accused the Spanish Constitutional Court of failing to review their appeals in due time. 

The court accepted all their complaints, but is not reviewing them. One appeal has been without an answer for over a year now, they said.

This red tape legally prevents them from turning to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg for protection, which they could have done if their appeal was rejected from the start or after a deliberation, they said.

“We do not ask the Constitutional Court for any treatment of favor. 

But we do not passively accept any discrimination or unwarranted procrastination,” the statement said.

They added that the hunger strike is “one of the few legitimate forms of protest” left to them and will be indefinite.

Catalonia’s October 2017 independence referendum was met with a crackdown on the province’s leadership by the central Spanish government. 

It took direct control of the land and accused the organizers of the ballot of various crimes, including rebellion, sedition and misappropriation of public money.

Nine Catalan leaders are currently jailed in Spain awaiting trial. 

Earlier on Friday, Carles Puigdemont, the ousted president of Catalonia, who is currently living in Belgium to avoid arrest by Spanish authorities, published a photo of seven of his fellow pro-independence figures held in custody by Madrid, including the two hunger strikers.

The Spanish government responded to the protest by reiterating that the Catalans will receive a fair trial, contrasting their own expectations to the contrary. 

The process is expected to start in January.

The prison administration told El Pais newspaper that Sànchez and Turull will have to attend the dining room in accordance with the rules for inmates and that a doctor will be checking their health every two days, if they choose to continue their hunger strike.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Armenian protesters block traffic, railways & airport as protest leader loses PM bid

Anti-government protesters disrupted traffic in Armenia’s capital, blocking railways and roads leading to Yerevan International Airport, after the parliament voted against opposition leader Nikol Pashinyan’s bid for interim PM.
Protesters managed to block streets connecting downtown Yerevan to residential districts, disrupting transportation in Armenia’s capital, footage from the scene shows. 
Yerevan’s metro system has also been paralyzed as demonstrators sit on the tracks, preventing trains from passing.
Meanwhile, protesters disrupted traffic on a road leading to Yerevan’s Zvartnots International Airport, located just 12km from the center of the city. 
Consequently, some passengers had to go the rest of the way on foot in order to catch their flights, according to Sputnik news agency.
Railway services have also been disrupted all across the country amid the demonstrations, a spokesman for South Caucasus Railways confirmed to Interfax. 
Some other highways, including the one connecting th…

Syria threatens to ‘strike Tel Aviv airport’ unless UNSC acts against Israel’s impunity

Damascus has threatened to exercise its legitimate right for self-defense against Israeli aggression and target Tel Aviv airport in a mirror response, unless the Security Council puts an end to IDF intrusions into Syrian airspace.
Apparently fed up with years of Israeli impunity in the Syrian skies and regular strikes carried out in the vicinity of Damascus International Airport, Syria has threatened to retaliate in explicit terms.
“Isn’t time now for the UN Security Council to stop the Israeli repeated aggressions on the Syrian Arab Republic territories?” Syria’s permanent representative to the UN, Dr. Bashar al-Jaafari wondered Tuesday.

Or is it required to draw the attention of the war-makers in this Council by exercising our legitimate right to defend ourself and respond to the Israeli aggression on Damascus International Civil Airport in the same way on Tel Aviv Airport?
Air strikes against alleged ‘Iranian targets’ in close proximity to Syria’s busiest airport have become a norm for…

Iran showcases massive UNDERGROUND missile factory, with new rockets & warheads galore

As Tehran unveiled its newest weapon, it also shared rare footage of a secretive underground complex where Iranian missiles are being built. 
It has vowed to carry on with its missile program, despite objections from the West.
Iran’s new missile was showcased on Thursday, with top military officials unveiling the weapon and, in an unprecedented move, showing the subterranean factory. 
The location of the facility was not disclosed, for obvious reasons.
The facility was described by the Iranian media as an “underground city” – and its scale appears to be quite impressive. Footage from the scene shows vast corridors, full of various missile parts, including warheads, all at different stages of assembly.
The videos also showed workers at the plant fulfilling tasks, from merely spinning nuts to fine-tuning some tiny electronic devices, thought to be parts of the missiles’ guidance system.
The new missile, called Dezful, is said to be an upgraded version of the Zolfaghar ballistic missile. 
It bo…