Skip to main content

South China Sea is in Epicenter of Int'l Brawls Making ‘Co-Existing’ Impossible



The calm in the South China Sea, as many had warned, was illusory. 

Moreover, in the summer the situation in the region has become further aggravated. 

To add fuel to the fire, recently Hanoi has struck back following calls from Beijing to stop oil exploration in Block 136-03 of the South China Sea. 

"Vietnam’s petroleum-related activities take place in the sea entirely under the sovereignty and jurisdiction of Vietnam established in accordance with international law," Vietnam’s Foreign Ministry said Friday.

However, Beijing reportedly threatened to attack Vietnamese positions in the Spratly/Nansha Islands of the sea if an oil discovery operation led by Spanish oil firm Respol was not called off on July 15.

This incident clearly shows that the tensions that arose after the abolition of joint Chinese-Vietnamese exercises this June are still quite strong.

Furthermore, US President Donald Trump has reportedly approved a plan to give the US Navy more freedom to carry out patrols in the South China Sea.

In order to make sense of what exactly is going on in the South China Sea, Sputnik spoke with an expert at the Center for Strategic Research, Anton Tsvetov.

“Recently, the US media reported that Donald Trump approved a plan of Defense Minister James Mattis to conduct operations on freedom of navigation. 

If the information is correct, these operations will be held on a regular basis, rather than being approved each time by the National Security Council,” Tsvetov said.

This move is a clear sign that the US is planning on stepping up operations in the South China Sea and, according to the expert, there is another player on the horizon that is slowly nearing the dispute: the United Kingdom.

“UK Foreign Minister Boris Johnson plans on sending two aircraft carriers that were just launched to ‘strengthen the rule-based world order,’” Tsvetov said.

The UK’s modern HMS Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier is the largest ship built for the UK Royal Navy and it is currently undergoing tests.

The vessel should be approved by the navy by the end of 2017. 

The second ship, the HMS Prince of Wales, is currently being fitted in a Scottish shipyard.

Meanwhile, China continues to strengthen relations with Roderigo Duterte. 

During a visit to Manila, China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi said that the joint mining of minerals in the South China Sea, which, according to the Philippine president, may begin as early as this year, will become a model for the settlement of territorial disputes.

“Nevertheless, experts who follow the activity of China on the controlled structures in the South China Sea believe that the Chinese military facilities on the ‘big three’ [Subi, Mischief and Faerie Cross Reefs] are already giving it unprecedented control over the heart of the disputed water area,” Tsvetov said.

Perhaps the most harmless way to struggle for influence in the South China Sea was chosen by Indonesia, announcing a new name for the section of the sea crossing with the Indonesian exclusive economic zone.

The North-Natun Sea now complements the list, which already has the West Philippine and Vietnamese East Seas in them.

“In other words, nothing good is happening in the South China Sea,” Tsvetov said.

He further said, “So far, neither side has demonstrated the ability to perceive the interests of its counterparties and move away from radical positions on the question of sovereignty.”

Tsvetov also noted that currently this sea is not jam-packed, but considering the current pace of naval modernization of various parties involved soon it will not be so easy to coexist for everyone in the South China Sea.

“This increases the risk of an accidental conflict,” the expert concluded.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Armenian protesters block traffic, railways & airport as protest leader loses PM bid

Anti-government protesters disrupted traffic in Armenia’s capital, blocking railways and roads leading to Yerevan International Airport, after the parliament voted against opposition leader Nikol Pashinyan’s bid for interim PM.
Protesters managed to block streets connecting downtown Yerevan to residential districts, disrupting transportation in Armenia’s capital, footage from the scene shows. 
Yerevan’s metro system has also been paralyzed as demonstrators sit on the tracks, preventing trains from passing.
Meanwhile, protesters disrupted traffic on a road leading to Yerevan’s Zvartnots International Airport, located just 12km from the center of the city. 
Consequently, some passengers had to go the rest of the way on foot in order to catch their flights, according to Sputnik news agency.
Railway services have also been disrupted all across the country amid the demonstrations, a spokesman for South Caucasus Railways confirmed to Interfax. 
Some other highways, including the one connecting th…

Iran Killing Command: The use of firearms in dealing with protesters

The document you see on the image is the order of the commander of the Tehran repressive force to all the units based in the city.

Based on this agenda, the mercenaries of the corrupt government Islamic Republic of Iran have been allowed to use firearms in the event of any protest movement against people by the regime.
This is a murder command.
The repressive force of the law, known to the world's famous police and guardians, should protect the lives of its citizens, by freeing their mercenaries, they allow them to murder Iranians who are protesting the corruption in the government and you have the important message that if you come to the streets in protest of corruption and torture and massacre, we will kill you.
Because, according to criminal Khomeini, maintenance of the system is obligatory.
A corrupt government that is so hideous that spend billions of dollars from the national treasury and popular capitalto the suppression of its people and the countries of the region, must be ov…

ایران فرمان قتل : دستور استفاده از سلاح گرم در برخورد با معترضان

سندی که در تصویر میبینید دستور فرمانده نیروی سرکوبگر انتظامی تهران به همه یگانهای مستقر در این شهر است.
بر اساس این دستور کار ، مزدوران حکومت فاسد نظام جمهوری اسلامی اجازه یافته اند که درصورت بروز هرگونه جنبش اعتراضی از سوی مردم علیه رژیم ، از سلاح گرم استفاده کنند.
این دستور یک فرمان قتل است.
نیروی سرکوبگر انتظامی که به ظاهر و تعریف شناخته شده پلیس در سراسر جهان ، میبایست حافظ جان شهروندان باشد ، با آزاد گذاشتن دست مزدوران چکمه پوش خود انها را مجاز به قتل ایرانیان معترض به فسادهای موجود درلایه های حکومت میکنند و این پیام مهم را در خود دارد که اگر در اعتراض به  فساد و شکنجه و کشتار به خیابانها بریزید شما را خواهیم کشت.
چرا که به گفته خمینی دجال، حفظ نظام از اوجب واجبات است.
حکومت فاسدی که انقدر وقیح هست که میلیاردها دلار از خزانه ملی و سرمایه مردمی را صرف سرکوب مردم خود و کشورهای منطقه میکند باید سرنگون کرد.
اکنون چهل سال است که کشور ما به اشغال این ملایان جنایکتارخونخوار و اسلام تحمیلی در آمده است .
هنوز باورش برای برخی سخت است که درک کنند کشور ما به معنای واقعی کلمه از سوی بنیادگرایان الله…