Skip to main content

Pence's Anti-Russian Rhetoric Was 'Aimed at Distracting Attention From Qatar'



Vice President Mike Pence's statement regarding Russia and Iran's threat appears to be a continuation of the outdated policy of Barack Obama, Russian political analyst Kirill Koktysh told Radio Sputnik, suggesting that there are certain divisions within the Trump administration.

By calling Russia and Iran a "threat" US Vice President Mike Pence has tried to divert attention from the controversy surrounding Qatar, Russian political analyst Kirill Koktysh assumes.

​On Monday, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates accused Qatar of sponsoring terrorism and announced they would break diplomatic ties with Doha.

"There is an American military base in Qatar, and [the US] has found itself in a very ambiguous situation: if Qatar is a 'sponsor of terrorism', what is the United States is doing in his [terror] hotbed? 

In this situation, it is very important to point a finger at someone else and cry: 'Stop the thief!'" Koktysh, Associate Professor at the Moscow State Institute of International Relations (MGIMO), told Radio Sputnik, adding that the vice president was diverting attention from the current situation in Qatar.


While delivering his address at the Atlantic Council Distinguished Leadership Awards 2017 Pence named Russia, Iran and the threat of global terrorism as NATO's major security concerns.

"From Russia's efforts to redraw international borders by force, to Iran's attempts to destabilize the Middle East, to the global menace of terrorism that can strike anywhere and anytime. 

It seems that the world is more dangerous today than at any point since the fall of Communism a quarter century ago," Pence said.

The vice president highlighted Washington's commitment to the NATO treaty and its collective defense principle.

"The United States is resolved, as we were at NATO's founding and in every hour since, to live by that principle that an attack on one of us is an attack on all of us," Pence said.

Previously, the Trump administration came under criticism from its political opponents over the US president's "failure" to pledge his commitment to Article 5 of the Washington Treaty, during his speech at the NATO headquarters in Brussels.

Commenting on Pence's statement, Koktysh noted that it appears that within the Trump administration each politician is pursuing his or her own goals.

"Mike Pence has once again proved the fact that [US President Donald] Trump's [administration] is not a team, but simply a cluster of different politicians, each of whom acts primarily in his own interests and presents the interests of his lobby and his constituents. 

And here Mike Pence said what Trump did not want to say. 

He [Pence] simply voiced the old thesis that Russia and Iran are [the US'] main threats. 

This is, in fact, a reiteration of [Barack] Obama's old agenda. 

This is an intra-American message and a message to [US] allies," Koktysh pointed out.

For his part, Konstantin Kosachev, the chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the Federation Council, expressed his concerns over Pence's words.

"The statements of US Vice President Mike Pence that Russia, Iran, and terrorism are the main threats in the world are disappointing and regrettable," Kosachev wrote on his Facebook page. 

"They demonstrate that Donald Trump's administration is either incompetent or follows the trodden path of their predecessors."

Speaking to Sputnik on Tuesday, Leonid Slutsky, the chairman of the Russian State Duma International Affairs Committee, echoed Kosachev's stance.

"Now we see we should not wait for a quality improvement of relations with the United States compared to the administration of [former US President Barack] Obama," Slutsky said.

In response to Pence's statement, the Kremlin highlighted that it is primarily guided by the stance of the US President Trump.

"We hope that the US position will become clearer, but of course the position of President Trump is fundamental and the position by which Moscow is guided. 

Indubitably, we regret such phrases regarding our country," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov stressed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iran Killing Command: The use of firearms in dealing with protesters

The document you see on the image is the order of the commander of the Tehran repressive force to all the units based in the city.

Based on this agenda, the mercenaries of the corrupt government Islamic Republic of Iran have been allowed to use firearms in the event of any protest movement against people by the regime.
This is a murder command.
The repressive force of the law, known to the world's famous police and guardians, should protect the lives of its citizens, by freeing their mercenaries, they allow them to murder Iranians who are protesting the corruption in the government and you have the important message that if you come to the streets in protest of corruption and torture and massacre, we will kill you.
Because, according to criminal Khomeini, maintenance of the system is obligatory.
A corrupt government that is so hideous that spend billions of dollars from the national treasury and popular capitalto the suppression of its people and the countries of the region, must be ov…

ایران فرمان قتل : دستور استفاده از سلاح گرم در برخورد با معترضان

سندی که در تصویر میبینید دستور فرمانده نیروی سرکوبگر انتظامی تهران به همه یگانهای مستقر در این شهر است.
بر اساس این دستور کار ، مزدوران حکومت فاسد نظام جمهوری اسلامی اجازه یافته اند که درصورت بروز هرگونه جنبش اعتراضی از سوی مردم علیه رژیم ، از سلاح گرم استفاده کنند.
این دستور یک فرمان قتل است.
نیروی سرکوبگر انتظامی که به ظاهر و تعریف شناخته شده پلیس در سراسر جهان ، میبایست حافظ جان شهروندان باشد ، با آزاد گذاشتن دست مزدوران چکمه پوش خود انها را مجاز به قتل ایرانیان معترض به فسادهای موجود درلایه های حکومت میکنند و این پیام مهم را در خود دارد که اگر در اعتراض به  فساد و شکنجه و کشتار به خیابانها بریزید شما را خواهیم کشت.
چرا که به گفته خمینی دجال، حفظ نظام از اوجب واجبات است.
حکومت فاسدی که انقدر وقیح هست که میلیاردها دلار از خزانه ملی و سرمایه مردمی را صرف سرکوب مردم خود و کشورهای منطقه میکند باید سرنگون کرد.
اکنون چهل سال است که کشور ما به اشغال این ملایان جنایکتارخونخوار و اسلام تحمیلی در آمده است .
هنوز باورش برای برخی سخت است که درک کنند کشور ما به معنای واقعی کلمه از سوی بنیادگرایان الله…

مائده مختار زاده یکی از اعضاء فعال گروهک تروریستی سازمان مجاهدین خلق در ایران_قسمت 1

گزارش شماره یک درباره یکی از خائنین به ملت ایران
 همانطور که ملت بزرگ و شریف ایران زمین میدانند یکی از خطرناک ترین و فاسدترین گروه های تروریستی که سالیان سال در سطح جهان وایران به فعالیتهای غیر انسانی و جنایتکارانه مبادرت می ورزند و با افکار و عقاید بیمارگونه خود جانهای جوانان ایران زمین را می آلایند، گروهک تروریستی مجاهدین خلق می باشد.
جنایات آنان طی سالیان گذشته بر همگان آشکار بوده و چه خانواده هایی که فرزندان عزیز خود را که توسط اعضای این گروه شستشوی مغزی داده شدند ، از دست داده اند و دیگرانی که طعمه شکارچیان بی رحم این گروه تروریستی قرار گرفته اند.
اما خانواده هایی هستند که همچنان نسل اندر نسل به این سازمان تروریستی وفادارند و ایدئولوژی جنایتکارانه خود را به فرزندشان منتقل می کنند و همچنان در داخل و خارج ایران به ترویج افکار مسموم آنها و همچنین فعالیتهای تروریستی مشغول می باشند.
در اینجا به معرفی یکی از این خانواده ها و تشریح فعالیتهای آنها از سالهای آغازین انقلاب ایران تا کنون  خواهیم پرداخت:
مصطفی و جعفر مهیمنی و یکی از خواهرانشان مرضیه مهیمنی ساکن شهرستان بابل در استان مازندران در س…