Skip to main content

Austria seeks to withdraw from EU mandatory refugee quota system



The Austrian government plans to pull out from the EU resettlement program which obliges it to accept more refugees under the quota assigned to it by Brussels as it has already taken in more than its fair share of asylum seekers.

"We believe an exception is necessary for Austria for having already fulfilled its obligation. 

We will discuss that with the European Commission," the Austrian Chancellor Christian Kern told journalists following a weekly cabinet meeting.

"We will send a letter [to Brussels] as quickly as possible and then begin discussions," he added, as cited by Reuters. 

The Chancellor also said Austria would like to quit the program without any legal confrontation with Brussels, which could lead to it being accused of violating its obligations under the agreement. 

“We are not the agent provocateur," Kern said.

Under the EU refugee resettlement and relocation program agreed in 2015, Austria has to take in some 460 asylum seekers from Italy and about 1,400 refugees from Greece. 

However, after Austria accepted around 90,000 refugees in 2015, it was granted a temporary exemption from the relocation program. 

That brief reprieve expired on March 11, 2017.

The government’s decision comes a bit unexpectedly as, just on Monday, the Austrian Interior Minister Wolfgang Sobotka announced that Austria has begun the process of relocation, preparing to accept the first group consisting of 50 underage asylum seekers from Italy.

The minister said he personally regards “the process of relocation as wrong” but admitted that Austria “has to fulfill its obligations” as there are no objective reasons to extend the exemption.

However, later the same day, the Austrian Defense Minister Hans-Peter Doskozil introduced a proposal envisaging the withdrawal from the EU relocation program at the cabinet meeting, arguing that Austria had already “exceeded” its refugee quota.


Austria should “pull out” from the program, as it is already “one of the countries that bear the heaviest [refugee] burden,” Doskozil said, pointing out that the number of asylum seekers per capita in Austria amounts to 4,587 people per one million Austrians. 

He added that Vienna's figures are higher than that in Italy, where it actually accounts for only 1,998 asylum requests per one million citizens, as reported by the Austrian APA news agency.

The interior ministry then expressed its support for Doskozil’s proposal and said that it “absolutely agrees with the content [of the proposal] and approves” it. 

However, later, Sobotka emphasized that he would support the move only if Kern would discuss the issue with Brussels and the proposal itself would undergo a legal review.

However, Austria’s move has already provoked an angry reaction in Brussels, which urged Vienna to comply with its commitments under the program, adding that no country can withdraw from the refugee quota system without consequences.

"Austria is now expected to fulfill its legal obligation under the council decision to start relocating,” EU spokesperson Natasha Bertraud said, as cited by the German dpa news agency. 

She also added that Vienna “can only choose to act outside the law, which we would find both deeply regrettable and not without consequences.”

Austria’s withdrawal could be another blow to the EU resettlement and relocation program that has not been particularly successful so far.

In February, it was reported that EU member states only relocated slightly more than 15,000 asylum seekers from Italy, Greece, and Turkey out of 160,000 the EU initially pledged to resettle under its controversial refugee quota system.

Apart from Austria that enjoyed its exemption from the program until recently, Hungary and Poland also did not accept any refugees under this system, while Slovakia took in only nine people out of 902 asylum seekers allocated to it under the scheme.

In October 2016, Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban said that his country is ready to sue the European Commission over mandatory refugee resettlement quotas, warning that if Brussels does not take the issue off the table, Budapest will wage “a big battle” and initiate “a serious legal debate.”

Meanwhile, some 26,600 new refugees reached Europe in the first three months of 2017, dpa reports, adding that 164,000 asylum seekers came to Europe over the same period in 2016.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Armenian protesters block traffic, railways & airport as protest leader loses PM bid

Anti-government protesters disrupted traffic in Armenia’s capital, blocking railways and roads leading to Yerevan International Airport, after the parliament voted against opposition leader Nikol Pashinyan’s bid for interim PM.
Protesters managed to block streets connecting downtown Yerevan to residential districts, disrupting transportation in Armenia’s capital, footage from the scene shows. 
Yerevan’s metro system has also been paralyzed as demonstrators sit on the tracks, preventing trains from passing.
Meanwhile, protesters disrupted traffic on a road leading to Yerevan’s Zvartnots International Airport, located just 12km from the center of the city. 
Consequently, some passengers had to go the rest of the way on foot in order to catch their flights, according to Sputnik news agency.
Railway services have also been disrupted all across the country amid the demonstrations, a spokesman for South Caucasus Railways confirmed to Interfax. 
Some other highways, including the one connecting th…

Iran Killing Command: The use of firearms in dealing with protesters

The document you see on the image is the order of the commander of the Tehran repressive force to all the units based in the city.

Based on this agenda, the mercenaries of the corrupt government Islamic Republic of Iran have been allowed to use firearms in the event of any protest movement against people by the regime.
This is a murder command.
The repressive force of the law, known to the world's famous police and guardians, should protect the lives of its citizens, by freeing their mercenaries, they allow them to murder Iranians who are protesting the corruption in the government and you have the important message that if you come to the streets in protest of corruption and torture and massacre, we will kill you.
Because, according to criminal Khomeini, maintenance of the system is obligatory.
A corrupt government that is so hideous that spend billions of dollars from the national treasury and popular capitalto the suppression of its people and the countries of the region, must be ov…

ایران فرمان قتل : دستور استفاده از سلاح گرم در برخورد با معترضان

سندی که در تصویر میبینید دستور فرمانده نیروی سرکوبگر انتظامی تهران به همه یگانهای مستقر در این شهر است.
بر اساس این دستور کار ، مزدوران حکومت فاسد نظام جمهوری اسلامی اجازه یافته اند که درصورت بروز هرگونه جنبش اعتراضی از سوی مردم علیه رژیم ، از سلاح گرم استفاده کنند.
این دستور یک فرمان قتل است.
نیروی سرکوبگر انتظامی که به ظاهر و تعریف شناخته شده پلیس در سراسر جهان ، میبایست حافظ جان شهروندان باشد ، با آزاد گذاشتن دست مزدوران چکمه پوش خود انها را مجاز به قتل ایرانیان معترض به فسادهای موجود درلایه های حکومت میکنند و این پیام مهم را در خود دارد که اگر در اعتراض به  فساد و شکنجه و کشتار به خیابانها بریزید شما را خواهیم کشت.
چرا که به گفته خمینی دجال، حفظ نظام از اوجب واجبات است.
حکومت فاسدی که انقدر وقیح هست که میلیاردها دلار از خزانه ملی و سرمایه مردمی را صرف سرکوب مردم خود و کشورهای منطقه میکند باید سرنگون کرد.
اکنون چهل سال است که کشور ما به اشغال این ملایان جنایکتارخونخوار و اسلام تحمیلی در آمده است .
هنوز باورش برای برخی سخت است که درک کنند کشور ما به معنای واقعی کلمه از سوی بنیادگرایان الله…